I travel near and far to many powwows from the west coast to the east coast of the United States. Whether I am dancing around the Salt Lake Valley to surrounding local Native Communities or to other tribal communities across the U.S., competing in the Jingle Dress style category is a fierce and beautiful cultural sport.
Powwows can take place indoors or outdoors, in gyms, arenas, or arbors, and can can last anywhere from one to four days. This means dressing in comfortable sports wear under my dresses is a MUST!
In my opinion, spandex, sports bras, and tank tops are what every jingle dress dancer should be wearing under their dresses. Throughout the years I have learned that the two competing Spandex for me are made by Nike and Under Armour. I have gone back and forth between these two brands and have seen benefits and flaws on both sides.
Nike – $35
- Provides supportive comfort with their stretchy waist and tight fit
- Dri-FIT® fabric helps keep you dry and comfortable
- Side seams trace your natural shape for optimal movement
The only negatives I’ve experienced with these shorts are that they become slightly see-through after multiple uses and the shorts stretch out after multiple uses; I recommend going with a size smaller than your actual size for maximum comfort.
Under Armour – $27.99
- Increases muscle power and decreases recovery time with compression fit
- Moisture Transport System wicks sweat away to keep you cool, and dry
- Wide, yoga-inspired waistband with hidden pocket for small item storage
- Stretchy material and seamless front delivers superior comfort
The only negatives I’ve experienced with these shorts are that they wear after a few uses with lint and the fabric sometimes snags on sequined fabrics.
Where to Buy
Both of these shorts can be purchased in Nike or Under Armour retail/outlet stores, online, or in stores like, Dick’s Sporting Goods.
If you are a jingle dress dancer, please try one of these two great spandex and let me know which one you like better!